Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ordering, stacking, puzzling


Robert is our little organizer.  Yesterday he wanted the crayons.  I handed him the large jar of crayons and then went and found a coloring book for him.  I left him to it, as I was busy getting breakfast for Harry.  A few minutes later I checked back (to make sure nothing unusual was being colored) and this is what I found.  The coloring book was still as I had left it and Robert was busily and happily organizing the crayons into lines.  I joined him to color a few minutes later, but he really wasn't interested, what he wanted to do was empty out the crayons, organize them into his own order and put them back.  We spent a little time identfying the colors and then he was done.

He has a penchant for puzzles.  About six months ago (or maybe more) he was very into the 3 year old puzzles and we would do them over and over again.  At first I was doing them and he would help here and there and eventually he could do them.  Right now he loves doing wooden puzzles when we are at the library (which is actually fairly often), but at home he has other occupations. 

My Mom used to say that she thought people had lots of children because each one is so different and they just wanted to see what the next child would be like.  It is true in our house, Robert and Harry are very different boys and I am fascinated by this.  They are both sweet little boys, but in very different ways.  Robert has a twinkle in his eye that spells trouble.  I'll watch him as he deliberately tests limits and does things that he knows he's not supposed to do.  Harry has always been very obedient and now I realize what a good child he is with our little troublesome two year old around.  I am appreciative of this side of Harry more and more as I try to figure out how to discipline and teach Robert.  I have to admit, it was easy with Harry, he wants to obey and do things right (I think that may come from his very right/wrong oriented mother), but Robert seems to say, "Hmmm...you don't want me to do this, I wonder why, let's try that again."

It is an adventure and I am happy to be on it (at least most days).


No comments:

Post a Comment